Our Intellectual Property (IP) insurance provides protection to businesses in a wide range of industries from intellectual property risks related to infringement of patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets.
Our underwriters have a deep understanding of the risks your business may face, and they can provide you with bespoke coverage to meet your individual needs.
Our insurance covers IP infringement, loss of IP value, IP invalidation, and IP contractual liabilities.
The features of our Intellectual Property insurance include:
Intellectual Property (IP) Infringement
Insurance coverage to indemnify businesses that are defendants in IP litigation following allegations of infringement of another party’s IP rights (patents, trademarks, copyrights, etc.) or following a challenge to the rights or ownership of IP owned by the insured. Cover is included for:
- Infringement or invalidity defence legal costs
- Infringement liability for damage awards and settlements
- Contractual IP indemnifications
- Contractual disputes related to IP licensing
- D&O liability relating to IP infringement
Intellectual Property (IP) Value
Insurance coverage to indemnify for lost profits on products, diminished IP portfolio value or reduced contract value as a result of:
- Successful legal actions against the insured’s IP, such as invalidity challenges
- Government action discriminatory to the insured’s IP right
Intellectual Property (IP) Contractual Liability Insurance
A specific solution to deal with the frequent requirement to address IP indemnification within contractual negotiations. Cover can be provided for the legal fees and expenses and damages (including settlements) incurred as a result of:
- Any IP-related indemnity agreement or hold harmless provision provided by the insured to a third party under a contract, or
- An allegation that the insured has infringed on a third party’s IP through its dealings in the products/services provided to the insured by a third party under a contract.
Industries covered include:
- Software and hardware
- Consumer electronics
- Pharmaceuticals and life sciences
- Aviation and automotive
- Up to GBP 10 million/ EUR 10 million/ USD 10 million, either 100% or as co-insurance
- We can write primary or excess layers.
What is Intellectual Property Insurance?
Intellectual property (IP) can relate to a wide range of creative inventions from artistic works, to industrial designs, trademarks and copyrights. IP insurance provides cover to businesses who might face allegations of infringement of another party’s IP rights; or covering the legal fees and expenses involved in challenging the rights or ownership of assets held by your business.
If your business designs, manufactures, sells, or supplies a product, you may inadvertently infringe on third party intellectual property rights. Intellectual property insurance covers you for exposures that might arise from any infringements you face, expenses involved in contractual negotiations, or loss of IP value as a result of legal action.