Job Title: Senior Underwriter
Department: Marine – Ports & Terminals
Purpose of the Role:
Underwrite business in accordance with the business plan and within delegated underwriting authority.
Strategy and Planning:
- Support the development of the annual business plan for the Underwriting division and ensure delivery of the plan in accordance with stated risk tolerances
- Contribute in all meetings in order to share and develop strategy, knowledge and best practice
- Give new ideas and concepts to support the development and delivery of the business plan
- Establish and strengthen relationships with brokers, industry bodies, business partners, reinsurers and colleagues, to maximise influence and achieve business objectives
- Demonstrate understanding and awareness of market dynamics and market cycles to drive and enhance business performance
- Underwrite insurance risks in accordance with the business plan and personal authority to meet business objectives
- Contribute and influence in the review and analysis of the portfolio, to identify progress towards business objectives
- Manage resources across the team to ensure business requirements are achieved
- Motivate and develop the team by demonstrating good leadership behaviours and management best practice
- Manage performance in accordance with the company’s performance process
Policy, Process and Procedures:
- Compliance with all applicable internal and external laws, regulations, policies, procedures and guidance
- Adhere to underwriting standards, instructions and best practice methodology in order to minimise risk
- Apply any reinsurance requirements in accordance with stated risk tolerances and to deliver against business plan
- Adherence to all relevant regulatory requirements forms part of your role, and the demonstration of behaviours as set out in the Conduct Risk Policy, as they relate to your role, is core to LSM’s commitment to placing customers at the centre of our business and behaving with integrity. LSM expects you to understand your responsibilities relating to all regulatory and internal requirements, and to proactively demonstrate compliance with these requirements and behaviours at all times. These requirements include Solvency II, fair treatment of customers, Financial Crime, Data Protection, Conflicts of Interest, and Whistleblowing.
What the ideal candidate will have:
- Extensive knowledge of relevant market conditions for specific class/portfolio
- Strong knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements
- Strong knowledge of Liberty (including Group) underwriting process and procedure
- Good knowledge of relevant Liberty underwriting systems
- Intermediate/ advanced level understanding of relevant software including Excel and other departmental software packages
- Degree or equivalent qualification desired – e.g. ACII
- Strong established customer/broker relationships
LSM reward individuals based on their performance, ability and attitude, no matter the focus or seniority of their role, with our competitive benefits package. All LSM employees have access to flexi-benefits to suit their particular lifestyle needs, which include competitive basic salary, pension and bonus, 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy or sell 5), generous contribution towards gym membership, private health and dental care and full health screening, good maternity and paternity leave options, full study support towards any relevant qualifications and flexibility to work remotely. On top of all of this we are based in the prestigious Walkie Talkie building and all employees have individual and guest access to the Sky Garden.
We know that each of us has a ‘unique perspective’, shaped by our different backgrounds, personalities, life experiences, beliefs and many other dimensions of difference. D&I embraces all of those dimensions which make each of us who we are; a combination of visible and invisible differences which guide our perspectives and approaches in life.
At LSM, we recognise and encourage the values of diversity, inclusion and collaboration and we know that working together to share our unique perspectives helps us make better decisions, deliver innovative solutions and pursue our goals. We have an inclusive culture and leadership where all colleagues are empowered to be their unique selves and fully contribute to getting things done. And we are as committed to helping each other internally, as we are to helping our customers, communities and shareholders externally.
We currently celebrate a number of aspects of D&I and are expanding our strategic and tactical approaches to ensure that we celebrate many more in the coming months and years.